WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. I started this blog to share with the public the joy of my creations. I hope more people will join me on this journey. Bonsai is a very peaceful and rewarding passtime, hobby, craft or art. Make your choice. You can contact me at newzealandteatreebonsai@gmail.com.
Enjoy and Cheers.
CJ

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Leptospermum Polygalifolium

This Letpspermum Polygalifolium also known as Leptospermum Flavescens, was one of two trees I work on yesterday afternoon. I have been growing it from an ordinary nursery stock for over 12 years. However I only pay close attention to it over the last 3 years. It is coming along nicely and should be show ready in 3 - 5 years time. The top part is completed and only needs maintenance. It is the first two branches which I am trying to grow thicker. Hence I am giving them the freedom to grow wild. This is the fastest way to thicken up. This variety of tea tree has white flowers and bloom in early Spring. I also found it to be the most hardy of all the types of tea tree in my garden. So if u r game enough to grow  "the ultimate forbidden bonsai", then this is one specie which will increase your chance of success. I remembered many years ago one of my neighbour told me the story of the Leptospermum Flavescens Pacific Beauty growing in his garden. He said that it was planted when he moved into the house about 25 years ago. He came from England with his family. On a stormy day, the tree was blown 25 metres away from its' location. He picked it up and replanted it. It survived and grown into a nice tree. I took a large air-layer from this tree. It is growing very well. This will be a subject for another day. CJ.

The tree before work:
























The tree after trimming and branch adjustments. I am thinking of moving the front more towards the right. I also used some old discarded branches for positioning purposes.