WELCOME

Welcome to my blog. I started this blog to share with the public the joy of my creations. I hope more people will join me on this journey. Bonsai is a very peaceful and rewarding passtime, hobby, craft or art. Make your choice. You can contact me at newzealandteatreebonsai@gmail.com.
Enjoy and Cheers.
CJ

Friday, September 28, 2012

Air Layering Japanese Maple


The first time I air layer a Japanese Maple was about 6 - 7 years ago. I vaguely remember that it took less than 2 months to strike roots. Other than that air layer, I have not done anything to this maple which I bought from an ordinary nursery in 1999. I am kind of disappointed with myself. Two days ago, the beautiful foliages of the Japanese Maple at this time of the year inspired me to have a close look at it.  Finally paying some attention to my neglected Maple. My idea is to make use of the trunk and develop all the branches. There are also potentials to get a cascade and a shohin maple bonsai from the top part through air layering. Below are pictures of the air layering process. CJ

The neglected Japanese Maple

Potential for cascade and shohin.


First, I cut off a width of bark about the diameter of the trunk at the point of cut. I then completely scrapped off the shinny layer of cambium. For vigorous and difficult to root specie, this is critical. Any remaining trace of cambium will complicate the rooting process.


Then I mixed my rooting powder into a thick paste:



Applied rooting paste to the upper cut:



Finally wrapped spagnum moss, soaked in seaweed extract solution, around the cut. I tied the lower part tightly to minimise water sippage. The top is tied loosely to allow water from rain and watering to wet the spagnum moss. It is critical that the spagnum moss is moist all the time. Now is to wait for result.


Meanwhile I got results from air layers I took in April and May. A large bottle brush. More than 10 cm dia.


Lillypilly


Pyracantha

JBP. The cut is different. The upper cut is in Vs and inverted Vs. The Vs bark are raised and supported with tiny pebbles.